Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 18:36:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@webgiro.com>
To:        Daniel Hilevich <danhil@cwnt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATM adapter

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Daniel Hilevich wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking to purchase an ATM adapter for my FreeBSD box. The two adapters
> specified in the "Integrating ATM networking into BSD" document (Adaptec
> ANA-59x0 & efficient ENI-155) are no longer available.
> My needs are simple:
> -    PCI/ISA ATM adapter.
> -    Compatibility with the en0 driver (or any other driver that exists for
> FreeBSD).

The cards and the driver you mention is the old ATM implementation made by
Chuck Cranor (sp?). There is much newer and much more sophisticated
framework called HARP, which is part of FreeBSD beginning with, I think,
3.0-RELEASE. HARP supports (among others) Fore PCA-200e card which I
use. See the docs in /usr/share/examples/atm.

NOTE: this card requires loading a firmware each time it's initialized
(after reboot). The firmware has to be _exactly_ the version that is
mentioned in the HARP docs, because HARP drivers refer to locations in the
binary image..

Also, be sure to set proper encapsulation on both sides of your link
(e.g. LLC/SNAP).

Other than that, the card works perfectly ok for me.

Andrzej Bialecki

//  <abial@webgiro.com> WebGiro AB, Sweden (http://www.webgiro.com)
// ------ FreeBSD: The Power to Serve. http://www.freebsd.org --------
// --- Small & Embedded FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/~picobsd/ ----