Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:46:03 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Nguyen Tam Chinh <unixvn@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Centralized DB of "system" users
References:  <139b44430812112348k5c51072ie771913c982f7cfe@mail.gmail.com>	<49422A05.6050907@gmail.com> <ghtdp3$g0r$1@ger.gmane.org>	<20081212120557.V3687@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>	<9bbcef730812120426t3c4b8a28q337c8379cd947702@mail.gmail.com>	<20081212141156.E4001@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>	<139b44430812120527w7b22d8a1m860cbf308e4b67c3@mail.gmail.com>	<ghtq19$o1f$1@ger.gmane.org> <64b284310812120645m6c5ee122mb0510014343eff3f@mail.gmail.com>

--------------enigD805165F339D466B95BA5A42

Nguyen Tam Chinh wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org> wrote:=

>> Valentin Bud wrote:

>>> If you only have UNIX systems in LAN. But in my case i have Linux + F=
reeBSD
>>> (server). From the handbook
>>> NIS only works between FBSDs. Am i missing something?
>> You are correct.
>>
>=20
> Hmm, I have NIS server on an old Solaris 8 and all clients are Linux
> (I can't use FBSD at work due so far). So it sounds strange if NIS
> works only between FBSDs, something not standard in the
> implementation?
> Anyway, I also vote for the LDAP. Later on when you need to introduce
> new services, LDAP will integrate better. NIS is very specific for
> *nix world.
>=20

The problem with NIS between Linux and FreeBSD is the format of the
password database.  FreeBSD uses /etc/master.passwd -- which contains
everything that's in the standard /etc/passwd file and adds the password
hashes and several extra columns to do with password expiry and login
groups.

Linux, and other SysV-alike systems like Solaris have /etc/passwd -- same=

as on FreeBSD -- and /etc/shadow: a separate file with password hashes an=
various controls for password expiry.  The formats of /etc/master.passwd
and /etc/shadow are incompatible, although (assuming the password hashes
are compatible) it should be a fairly small matter of programming to writ=
scripts to convert between the two.

In the case where you have a FreeBSD NIS server and Linux clients, it is
perfectly feasible to have the FreeBSD box serve a Linux-style /etc/shado=
database via NIS.  This means users can log in on Linux machines, and I
think it's also not too difficult to make changing passwords over NIS wor=
(although ICBW), but the client users will not automatically be able to l=
og
into the central (FreeBSD) NIS server.  Some might view this as a /featur=
e/.

Of course, as has been pointed out else-thread, LDAP is the way of the=20
future.  It's much more scalable and interoperable between different OSes=

than NIS, provides huge amounts of extra functionality and it supports
things like geographically distributed sites all sharing the same passwor=
database but with local users managed from local servers.  (LDAP is a
hierarchical database much like the DNS.  As with the DNS, sub-domains in=

the LDAP tree can be delegated off to different servers.  Although that's=

pretty advanced usage). Even a basic setup does require a much steeper
learning curve to get it going from scratch than most of the alternatives=
=2E

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20