Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 12:59:39 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Joshua Lokken <inspector.us@omicnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Having a bad time with hostname

[As this is a technical problem, I've moved this thread from -newbies
to -questions.]

Joshua Lokken wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am using DHCP.  When I configure my NIC under FreeBSD, it
> uses the name that Win2K arbitrarily gives my box when I set it
> up, which I don't normally alter because I don't need to.  Do I
> have to use name (frustratingly inclusive of a string of random
> letters and numbers)?

You can use the supersede option in dhclient.conf to force dhclient to
ignore what Win2k tells it and use the hostname you want.  For example,
my ISP, like most, provides a domain name and DNS servers as part of
the DHCP reply.  I want my server to use my internal DNS cache and
domain, so I have this in /etc/dhclient.conf:

interface "dc0" {
   supersede domain-name-servers 172.21.42.1;
   supersede domain-name "techno.pagans";
}

This is the point where you go read dhclient.conf(5). :)