Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:51:57 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anything like COM in Java?

| with the risk of being overly flip; you like COM because you haven't
| written any full size multiple developer products with it yet!
|
| it get's very fragile and fiddly when you get up to the multiple 100's of
| interfaces.

We have quite a few in ours, but not hundreds.  There are basically 2
things I like about it:

GUIDs, so if I say I want a certain version of an interface,
the GUID guarantees it is.

It breaks down to straight function calls for in-process servers.  No
overhead, less work than CORBA.

| i could explain some more practical and pragmatic challenges associated
| with COM ( which i agree is pretty darn nifty in theory ), but this is the
| freebsd java list.

Please, email me privately.  ;-)

| umm, CORBA? are you trying to interoperate with a non java app? any non
| java app has to speak the same binary interfacing standard.

What I really want is the total separation of functionality that
components can provide.  Now, the ugly part of COM is the type library.
That's the necessary link.

What can I do in Java that would allow one class to dynamically bind
(early) to another?

I'm rather convinced at this point that components dramatically improve
project organization beyond a certain point.  My current project uses a
great deal of inheritance, but components really separate functions into
contract interactions.  How can I do this in Java?  Do Interfaces work
well enough for this?  Is there a Java binary equivalent, so the binding
takes place at run-time rather than compile-time?

jm
--
My other computer is your windows box.