Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 13:52:25 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        MrBoboo <mrboboo@home.com>, freebsd net <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kernel thing

* Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG> [000903 04:34] wrote:
> MrBoboo wrote:
>
> > is there a way to view the settings or configuration for the curent
> > kernel that is running instead of making a kernel from scratch, i just
> > want to change some lines in my current one, is there a way to do
> > that??? basically do a CP of the current to a new file name perhaps
> > MYKERNEL, then edit MYKERNEL and then you know the rest
>
> Have you ever built your own kernel before?  If you've never built
> a kernel before, your kernel will be based on the GENERIC kernel
> configuration file in /sys/i386/conf.

If you check the LINT kernel you'll see an option:

# This allows you to actually store this configuration file into
# the kernel binary itself, where it may be later read by saying:
#    strings -n 3 /kernel | sed -n 's/^___//p' > MYKERNEL
#
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel

that ought to help.