Date:      06 Aug 2002 19:02:25 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing question

I have a fairly typical network setup - ie

ISP <--DSL--> tun0 FBSD fxp0 <--LAN--> ..

I have 10.0.2.0/24 on the fxp0 device and a random IP from my ISP.

I would like to be able to make the FBSD box present all packets to the
tun0 of the form 10.0.2.0/24 NOT my assigned IP.

For every machine on my LAN this is what actually happens but because
the FBSD machine can pass packets directly to the tun0 device those
packets have the assigned IP.

The main reason this is a problem is writing firewall rules. I have to
bend over backwards to make sure I don't block my tun0 IP.

Note that I'm running 'ppp -alias' but it is the same situation where
your ISP allocates you some address space but gives you a tun address in
a different subnet (see Telstra BigPond Direct).

I could swear someone told me how to do this and I wrote it in my log
book but of course I can't find it..

Help :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum
GPG Fingerprint - 9A8C 569F 685A D928 5140  AE4B 319B 41F4 5D17 FDD5