Date:      Sat, 5 Jul 1997 09:12:55 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jdp@polstra.com
Cc:        ache@nagual.pp.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@spinner.dialix.com.au, xaa@stack.nl
Subject:   Re: CVSUP and CVS branches: still not synchronized, please fix!

>> Perhaps the cvs bug that caused histedit.h to reappear in all
>> checked out trees only affects cvsup for disklabel.5.5.
>
>I think the problem is a botch in the CVS repository.  (Hi, Peter!)
>
>    RCS file: disklabel.5.5,v
>    ----------------------------
>    revision 1.1.1.2
>    date: 1995/12/30 18:51:57;  author: peter;  state: dead;  lines: +0 -0
>    recording cvs-1.6 file death
>    ----------------------------
>Notice that the death of the file was recorded in 1.1.1.2, which
>is on the vendor branch.  This should never happen.  CVS will never

There are a few :-) other files like this - everything that was moved to
the attic between 1993 and 1995 before cvs-1.6 potentially has it; 2065
of 5809 files in attics have "recording cvs-1.6 file death".

>If CVS still treats it as dead, that can only be because of some
>sort of provision for compatibility with very old repositories
>(pre-1.6 of CVS).  I am not really interested in supporting

This leaves the mystery of why was histedit.h _was_ brought back.  It
had exactly the same history as disklabel.5.5 except for timestamps
and the comment line (I checked backups made on May 17 1997).

Bruce