Date:      Wed, 31 May 2006 14:53:29 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install error for version 6.1: Cannot get packages/index

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 14:27, pwangee@udel.edu wrote:
> hi,
>
> My alpha machine is 433au with the freebsd 4.10. Now I want to reinstall the
latest version 6.1 in my machine from CD. When I install it, everything is
fine until the error message " can not get packetages/index ...". I really
don't know the reason.

> I tried to install it from FTP. It still does not work. Then, I check the
website of freebsd and find that the distribution of the alpha machine for
version 6.1 is empty. The distributions for other kinds of machines are
avalable. The distribution of alpha machine for version 5.5 is empty too.

> Anyone gives suggestions? Thanks

FreeBSD no longer provides pre-built packages for Alpha.  You'll need to
install 3rd party software using ports instead.  This includes Xorg.  I think
you should be able to install the system fine using the 6.1 CD so long as you
don't select the Xorg dists.

--
John Baldwin