Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 12:01:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        "Robert J. Hansen" <rjhansen@inav.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Newbie: Q regarding /dev entries

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Robert J. Hansen wrote:

> /dev/hda --> IDE HD
> /dev/hdb --> IDE Zip
> /dev/hdc --> IDE CDROM
>
> ... can anyone give me a pointer on which /dev entries those correspond
> to in FreeBSD?

Well, FreeBSD uses the following names:

IDE (Atapi) devices:
--------------------

Device type=09=09Block device=09=09Raw Device

Disk 1=09=09=09/dev/ad0=09=09/dev/rad0
=09=09=09/dev/ad0s1=09=09/dev/rad0s1
=09=09=09/dev/ad0s1a=09=09/dev/rad0s1a
=09=09=09/dev/ad0a=09=09/dev/rad0a
=09=09=09...=09=09=09...
Disk 2=09=09=09/dev/ad1=09=09/dev/rad1
=09=09=09...=09=09=09...
CDROM=09=09=09/dev/acd0a=09=09/dev/racd0a
=09=09=09/dev/acd0c=09=09/dev/racd0c

SCSI-Devices:
-------------

Similar, but da instead of ad for disks, and cd0a etc. instead of acd0a
etc.

In general, block device nodes are used for mounting (e.g.), raw device
nodes for formatting (e.g.). The disk slices (partitions) are numbered s1,
s2 and so on; the BSD-specific partitions (disklabel partitions) are
numbered a, b, c, d, ..., h. The letter a ist used for the root partition,
b for swap, c for the whole disk, and the rest for additional partitions.

If you want to play an audio cd, you'd have to use /dev/racd0c, if you
want to mount a CD containing a filesystem, you'd have to use /dev/acd0c.

Hope that helps.

> =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
>
> Second question.  I'd like to get EMACS rewired to accept the backspace
> key, instead of throwing a fit at the fact that I'm not using delete.
> Now, I can just hack out a short EMACS LISP definition to remap the key,
> but I was hoping there was a more elegant solution.

Sorry, I can't help here.

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg