Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:00:52 -0000
From:      "Bissell, Tim" <Tim.Bissell@DRKW.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What is ant good for?

Tubby honest, I'm not convinced Jikes and Ant go together -
Jikes' raison d'etre is speed, but the java compiler is quite
fast when used inside the Ant JVM - you lose the startup costs.

> I've been reading the "tools" discussion, and all I use is emacs,
> jdk, and Netscape for reading the on-line documentation.  The only
> change I'm tempted to make is to start using ant.
>
> But every time I've looked at anyone's ant script (is script
> the right word?), it's seemed alarmingly complex.

They often are, but that is because people do lots of things with them

> So I'm wondering whether ant does anything that would make it
> worth the effort of learning to use it.

Yes.

Built in and added in tasks are very useful; preprocess entire source
trees to fix the source code for JDK 1.1 / Java2 API differences.

You can dynamically build classpaths for the ant environment - e.g. put
every .jar and .zip in your 'classes' directory into the classpath.

build code only if the classes needed to build it are present - see above.

Fix line endings e.g. CRLF.

Run junit tests

Build installations e.g. tar / jar / zip, or run external installer builders

And it's portable...

I'm sure all of this could be done in make, but not as elegantly.
Plus spaces/tabs at the beginning of lines don't break your build 8-)

> Does it, for instance, work out the dependencies between files
> to determine what needs to be recompiled and what doesn't?

Javac does that, so it comes for free in Ant.

P.S. On the subject of IDEs, I 've been a staunch Emacs user for the past
nineteen years (eeeek!) but for Java, IDEA from www.intellij.com is
brilliant,
even if it costs lots of money ($200 for a personal licence) and does not
provide a GUI builder.  The authors churn out new releases with useful
improvements
fairly regularly as well.
Unfortunately my favourite WM (Window Maker) does not like its popup
windows,
but I just switch to IceWM.