Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 15:03:06 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        David Loszewski <stealth215@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vi question, please help...

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:43:26PM -0400, David Loszewski wrote:
> When I press 'backspace' it doesn't do anything, I get no response.
> When I press 'delete' it changes the casing of the letter that it's on
> ie. N --> n.
> The only thing I've been able to do even close to deleting is that if I
> type some text and then press the arrow left arrow key it kind of undo
> what I just typed.  I have no idea how to delete.  I've used vi many
> times on many different systems and this is usually not the behavior
> that I would get out of it.

Are you using an xterm (XFree86-3 or XFree86-4)? Or are you on the
console? What does "stty -a" produce?

When you are in vi's insert mode, what does Control-V DEL produce?
Similarly what does Control-V BACKSPACE produce?

All this sounds like a problem with your terminal-modes and key-mappings
rather than a problem with vi.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>