Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 16:30:09 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        dcs@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ACPI CHANGES AFFECTING MOST -CURRENT USERS

> Then, shouldn't we remove the PnP BIOS driver (pnpbios) from the
> kernel and make it a module, so that the boot loader will load either
> the ACPI module or the PnP BIOS module?

Yes, we probably should.

I'd like to see the boot-conf code learn how to deal with foo_load
variables set in the environment in the same fashion it deals with
them as it reads /boot/loader.conf; this would result in the acpi and
pnpbios modules being loaded at the correct time, rather than after
the 'boot' command where they come as a surprise to the user.