Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:46:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dru Nelson <dnelson@redwoodsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   UDMA in 2.2.8 - patches?

Hi,

I'm now working with a big site and I'm moving them over
to FreeBSD from Linux for stability.  The unfortunate thing
is that almost all of the machines use IDE drives.

I haven't tried 3.0 and I don't know how stable it is yet. I want
to have machines that run for many, many days and freebsd 2.[12].*
has done time and time again in the past.  So, I'm running 2.2.8 on
some of these machines right now. It has everything I need, except for
UDMA support (soft updates would be nice :-), but I can wait for that in
3.0).

IDE will be OK for these machines, I'm just worried about too many
interupts and not getting good IO performance.

What is the outlook or possible big ugly monster involved with
getting DMA or some of the EIDE features into 2.2.8 (Intel only
chipsets)?  I have no problem with putting something in /sys/pci
to get going on this... *(I'm willing to spend some time on this)*

I can rationalize adding support for DMA 2.2.8, and testing it thoroughly,
I can't see going to 3.0 just yet.

BTW, hdparm on linux, isn't bad. Can ide be controled dynamically from
command line on 3.0?

Dru Nelson
Redwood City, California