From:      Administrator <stash@cns.spb.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LBA and loader -> problem

Hi!
 I have faced following problem:
 I've installed FreeBSD 4.1.1 on WD drive with LBA mode on. (BSD Partition
is primary ~600M and the very first on drive)
 Everything works fine, except that on the very first boot stage (BMX
loader)
 the system works VERY SLOW (it takes about several minutes to get to the
kernel
head
 hits   somethig. But after the kernel starts loading - everythig works
fine.
 After trying different choises of disk geometry in BIOS setup
 (actually 3 - LBA, NORMAL and LARGE) I found out that the problem vanishes
when setting LARGE mode.
 I can't use this mode permanently , cause I have several OSes more on this
drive and they won't boot
 in any mode except LBA.
 In the logs I see that the FreeBSD system thinks that the drive C/H/S
 "signature" is NORMAL, no matter what i set up in BIOS.

 Can anyone give me some direction to work in?
 Thanx in advance

PS: sorry for my bad english.