Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:58:23 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Gerard <gms08701@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qmail maybe ?? & My mailserver and freebsd...

Gerard wrote:

>Well I did figure out tcpsever to get it working.
>Ill try the inetd way you suggest.
>Concerning me not being able to send mail to freebsd.org.  I found a PR
>discussning it earlier, and yes reverse lookup doesn't match forward
>lookups, and unfortunately the only cable provider here (comcast) wont
>cooperate, so Im probably stuck.

All you need is a reverse DNS that works, I don't think it has to match
the forward lookup as you put it.

Another problem which I have been bitten by just this afternoon, is that
the hostname sent by your server in its HELO SMTP command has to be able
to be reverse-resolved as well. This is controled in qmail by the
control/helohost file.

Also, you can't use message-ID's ending @localhost

Sheesh! FreeBSD.org has one hell of a picky e-mail server! :-)

Andrew.