Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:48:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>
To:        sbabkin@dcn.att.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Object library formats

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 sbabkin@dcn.att.com wrote:

> [...]

I have no idea as to Olicom's lineage.

> > ring cards.  They seem to think it would be compatible with a.out.
> > Also
> > would this library be compatible with an elf'd system?
> >
> > ELF/TRLLD.O:         ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version
> > 1,
> > not stripped
> >
> A COFF binary file can be converted into a.out without much problems,
> I have even written that converter once but it was lost during a crash
> and I
> felt no urge to write it again. The problem is that this driver is
> probably
> relying on the SysV Device Driver Interface to call the kernel library
> functions that are missing in FreeBSD. For a network driver this is for
> sure because it should use the STREAMS framework which is not used
> in FreeBSD.

It is not a network driver in and of itself, it is just the hardware
interface library.  In other words, it is just enough to glue a driver
to the card.  So the question still stands, can I link it into the
kernel and write a driver around it?

> -Serge
>
> P.S. A not stripped object file may be very useful for reverse
> engineering.

I have no intrest in reverse engineering their code, I just want to
get a driver written for their card after I finish my driver for
the IBM shared ram token ring cards.  The IBM driver is just about
to start passing packets, now that I have talked to the local network
guru about SNAP headers and the like.

Larry Lile
lile@stdio.com