Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 01:50:27 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@ad1440.net>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Including images in the documentation

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:02:49AM -0700, Sean Kelly wrote:
> > Enter "Sketch" (ports/graphics/sketch).
>
> Not bad.  Not bad at all!  (I really should take a closer look at the ports
> collection now and then.)
>
> > It's slimmer than Dia as well.  Back of the envelope calculations show it
> > needing about 6MB of distfiles ...
>
> And it's always possible to edit your figures using the tools that people
> already have installed or come with the base FreeBSD system ... like
> everyone's favorite One True Text Editor.  :-)

The big problem is that I don't want to mandate the installation of yet
another big port in order to generate the docs.  This would be needed
for the HTML docs as well (since the way to get some of the images will
undoubtedly be SVG -> PS -> PNG).  That would be like forcing people to
install XEmacs before they can edit the docs.

I really want a standalong svg2ps utility (or similar).  The closest I can
find after an extensive web search is

    http://www.iue.tuwien.ac.at/diss/halama/diss/node96.html#svg

which is someone's thesis.  Sadly, I can't find an e-mail address there
to contact the guy to ask if he'll release the source code.

While Sketch does have the sk2ps program (which also does svg2ps) a
cursory truss(1) shows that it cheerfully opens the X11 and Tk libs
when it runs (even though it doesn't put up any windows), so I don't
know how tricky it'll be to pull it out.