Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:50:11 -0800
From:      Daxbert <daxbert_news@dweebsoft.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        "" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: portupgrade mess

Quoting Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>:

> > BTW, any idea how I could reduce the size of the /usr/ports slice - it's
> > max is about 2Gb and there is about 1.7 in use. It seems a bit bloated and
>
> > I certainly don't need all the stuff that is in there...
> >
> Delete everything in "/usr/ports/distfiles".
> And before you go to bed one night do a "make clean" from "/usr/ports".
> It takes .... some time...

Another option is to add the following to your make.conf
( 5.x: /etc/make.conf  4.x: /etc/defaults/make.conf )

WRKDIRPREFIX=   /usr/obj

This will cause all of your port builds to be
directed to /usr/obj.  You can then nuke
/usr/obj/usr/ports and only remove the work,
not the ports tree.

To take care of the distfiles problem...

# mkdir -o /usr/obj/usr/ports/distfiles
# mv /usr/ports/distfiles/* /usr/obj/usr/ports/distfiles # <--(optional)
# rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles
# ln -s /usr/obj/usr/ports/distfiles /usr/ports/distfiles

This will get your distfile downloads out of
/usr/ports as well.  However, there's probably
a cleaner way to do this via a make.conf setting.

I do all of this because my ports tree is NFS mounted read-only as needed.

--daxbert