Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2018 08:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney (Gushi)" <freebsd@gushi.org>
To:        Koichiro Iwao <meta@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: security/openssl111 TLSv1.3 port options

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018, Koichiro Iwao wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OpenSSL 1.1.1 has been added to ports tree. AFAIK OpenSSL 1.1.1 supports
> TLSv1.3
> but no port options for TLSv1.3. There're only TLS1, TLS1_1, TLS1_2.
>
> I assume TLSv1.3 will be enabled by default unless disabled explicitly so
> security/openssl111 will always be built with TLSv1.3 enabled, am I correct?
> And why not add port options to enable/disable TLSv1.3 as well as older TLS
> versions?

Moreover -- is OpenSSL 1.1.1 going to be the default in FreeBSD 12?
Probably not as it's already in the RE phase.

If that's the case, people who want tls13 are going to be building
ports/packages against the non-base version until at least FreeBSD 13.

At least tls13 and freebsd13 would coincide nicely, linguistally speaking.

-Dan