Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 15:54:01 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Derek Barrett <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
Cc:        DavidJohnson@siemens.com, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux For Managers Part 2

Derek Barrett wrote:
> That's all I can think of. No offense to the community at large, but the FreeBSD advocacy efforts seem to be outdated and have fallen by the wayside.

None taken.. :)  You are right, and this is something that has been
talked about a little, but needs some action instead of words..

> What Postgres had alot of success with, was they basically just asked everyone in the community that was using it, to come back and let them know. This was awesome, because what came back was very surprising, we learned that Cisco, BASF, and the .INFO domains all use Postgres. Postgres recently beat out Oracle (there were about 15 firms and they all were proposing to us Oracle) to host the entire .ORG registry.

That's a great idea - maybe a "FreeBSD advocacy campaign" should be
started..

> I feel that FreeBSD desparately needs to update its case studies. We should follow the Postgres example. Heck, I'll even set something up like the Postgres Advocacy site, if people want to let everyone know that their company is using FreeBSD.

Great! I'd say set this up, and start pumping people to "fill in the
blanks".  Maybe you could also have a section on there asking why they
chose freebsd.  Then that data could be compiled and made into a more
concise managerese listing.

Eric