Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:22:49 +0200
From:      Pasi Parviainen <pasi.parviainen@iki.fi>
To:        Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh@onetel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi_tz0: _CRT value is absurd, ignored (256.0C) (was  pr kern/105537)

Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi, I sent this a while ago but don't think there was a reply. I'm about
> to embark on a custom ASL to load in loader.conf as per
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/acpi-debug.html but just
> wondering if their might be a 'proper' fix on the way. I do have the
> latest bios installed.

question will solve the problem, see below for more information.

> Would it help if I installed 8-CURRENT?

Probably not, see below.

I have HP 6510b and HP 2510p laptops and had same problem with those.
Actual problem is that the ACPI thermal code in kernel does sanity-check
for temperature values, and accepts only values between 0 - 200 Celsius.
To solve the problem you either create custom DSDT which returns 200.0C
value instead of 256.0C for thermal zone in question or increase the
limit of the sanity-check code of ACPI thermal code
(src/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_thermal.c function: acpi_tz_sanity).

Proper way to solve this in my opinion is to increase the range of
sanity-check function from 0 - 200 Celsius to 0 - 256 Celsius, or at
least provide sysctl variable to disable thermal sanity-checks.