Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:32:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-Hackers <FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD Auto-update (Was: Re: resolv and dynamic linking to compatlibc)

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 12:22 PM 7/1/2002, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
>
> >Gee, I guess we better get cracking to take offline every previous
> >version of libc, too --- which would mean every version of FreeBSD and
> >who knows what else.
>
> Alas, ethics demand that they be either taken offline or accompanied
> with a clear, visible, and strong warning.

    Who is going to expend the time and effort to do this, and what
task should they let drop on the floor to get it done?

> [...snip...]
>
> A snapshot of 4.6-STABLE should also be made and released as 4.6.1.

    I repeat my above question.

    Yes, "Windows-update"-like machinery in sysinstall would be nice,
but I don't see you falling all over yourself to either contribute it
or fund it.  All I see you doing is complaining that your priorities
aren't adopted by the committers.

    What you want is more likely to occur if/when sysinstall is
cleaned up.  By all accounts, it's a maze of twisted little code
paths, all alike.

    You could contribute to that, for a start, to make sure that the
modularity needed to plug in an update facility is designed in.  I'd
suggest piggybacking the update facility on top of portupgrade to
minimize duplication of effort.  That, of course, depends upon the
availability of known good binary packages with valid MD5 checksums
and/or PGP signatures, and that's a whole 'nother resource problem.

    Followups to -hackers.

--
Chris BeHanna                       http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant