Date:      Tue, 8 Feb 2000 23:57:18 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   RE:  VMWare: booting existing device ...

>> Went into Wizard Configuration, choose `Existing Device`, and choose the
>> right partition (/dev/hda1), but it tells me `permission denied` to this
>
>> Is there something that I have to do in order to allow a `normal user` to
>> be able to access that file system?
> 1. It is a security hole, but if you`re willing to put up with it, you can
> chgrp g+w the device and then make sure you`re a member of the `operator`
> group.
Probably last sentence about group membership doesn't required, because
wizard launched from the setuid'ed vmware.

> 2. This may not be enough. Make sure that /compat/linux/dev/hda is a _BLOCK_
> device, major 0, minor 0x10002. The error message you get if this isn`t the
> case implies that vmware wants a character device, but it actually wants a
> block device. Of course, wdc and its friends are being deprecated in favor
> of ata and its friends, and atadisk doesn`t create block devices. So this is
> an issue we`re going to have to deal with sooner or later. I don`t profess to
> know what the right solution is.
> :-)
In 1.1.x release vmware configuration panel and vmware-wizard doesn't concerned
about type of device. Probably a type of device is checked at a time when
guest booted. I think that doesn't changed in 2.0 version.

About FreeBSD and block devices, right now new-ATA driver doesn't have
a differences between character and block devices and working pretty
well with inode marked as block device, but as block devices
going to be deprecated may be good solution will be remove a sense of
a device type, and in the kernel don't pay attention to the state
of device type in the inode.

--
Vladimir Silyaev