Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:28:40 -0700
From:      "Josh Carroll" <josh.carroll@gmail.com>
To:        "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help Finding Disk Drive Usage

> So why does du report only 2.0 GB of usage while df reports over 6 GB?
> Where has my storage gone?  Or do I not understand proper usage of du?

If you removed files that still had open file handles (e.g. from
/var/log), they are likely still allocated and showing up in df, but
not du since they're not on the filesystem anymore. Restart any
daemons that you removed log files for, and the space will "show up".
Or a simple reboot should fix things.

Josh