Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:57:39 +0100
From:      Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
To:        Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I add new binaries to the mfsroot image?

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 03:56:26PM -0800, Peter Steele typed:
> >I'll have to check this out. I'm not getting anywhere with trying to
> >customize mfsroot with my current approach...
>
> The goal we are trying to achieve btw is to make gmirror available
> during an install so that the file systems are mirrored right from the
> get-go, so that we can avoid having to go through the process of
> converting a system as a post operation. The standard slicing/partition
> commands of sysinstall do support the creation of a mirrored file system
> though, so our idea was to run a script via install.cfg to take care of
> fdisk/bsdlabel/gmirror phase, and then install the packages in the
> normal fashion via subsequent steps in install.cfg.
>
> Is this something that can be done via sysinstall? If not, what's the
> best alternative? This whole process is targeted to be on a PXE boot
> server so we can configure our systems in a completely automated
> hands-off manner. We have 200+ FreeBSD systems and we definitely need an
> automated process. We already have it working fine, but without
> mirroring. We can upgrade doezens of systems at a time simply by making
> them boot from our PXE server. We now need to tweak this process so that
> we can establish the mirrored file systems as part of the automated
> install.

What I've done in the past is skip sysinstall alltogether and just boot
of an NFS root. Then use custom scripts for the slicing/partitioning/
mirroring, copy a minimal system to disk and pkg_add the rest.
Would be nice to do all this with install.cfg though. Please let me know
when you get this working.

Ruben