Date:      Mon, 4 Feb 2002 19:06:54 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, Mark Murray <markm@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: pam_ssh world breakage (was: Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libpam Makefile.inc)

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 09:17:17AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 03:30:32PM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > This delta breaks buildworld.  gcc(1) has a known bug-feature
> > of hiding some errors in standard system headers, making them
> > invisible without -I.
> > and compile now can't survive the WARNS=3D4.
>=20
> Not to mention there is ZERO way this code will pass WARNS=3D4 for GCC 3.
> Please Committers, do not try to WARNS code right now -- there just is no
> use.  It will only get in the way later.

If a new compiler generates more warnings then we should temporarily
disable the warnings when the compiler is imported by setting WARNS=3D0
in <bsd.sys.mk>.  All of the Makefile.inc's which set a default WARNS
value for a subdirectory use WARNS?=3D for this reason (so they can be
globally overridden until someone goes through and fixes the new
ones).

If you use the argument that one shouldn't set WARNS because a new
compiler will cause the tree to break, then there's no point having it
at all since that condition will always be true.

Kris

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+

--NMuMz9nt05w80d4+--