Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 1996 14:47:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        froden@bigblue.no
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: News server...

> We was forced to reinstall our news server and I just wonder if anyone have any comments/suggestions to our
> current setup:
>
> Machine:
> P/133
> 64MB ram (Soon to be 128 MB)

More RAM, definitely.  :-)

> 4x Quantum Empire (2GB)
> 1x Quantum Fireball (500MB)
>
> Disk configuration
> 1x Quantum Empire - root device
> 3x Quantum Empire striped with ccd (Ileave: 16 = 8kb) for /var/spool/news

Too small an interleave.  You want each drive to be able to complete a
transaction on its own...  and I am not talking about a single read,
I mean (minimally) the terminal directory traversal and file read for the
article in question.  You do not want two or three drives participating
in this operation.  Search the mailing list archives, I am tired of
explaining it.

I use an interleave size equal to the number of blocks in a
_CYLINDER_GROUP_.  That is a BIG number.

> 1x Quantum Fireball - /usr/lib/news (News configuration to avoid excessive I/O on the root dev.)

Good idea.

> The disks are connected to two Adaptec 7850 controllers.  the news related disks alone on the second
> adaptec and the root dev on the first.

So you have one "underutilized" SCSI bus... the first one.  Spread the disks
out between the busses.

> Inn is configured with the default setup from the FreeBSD ports collection (Except for pathnames etc etc).

Don't know what that is because I've never done it.  Sorry...

> Does this look like a reasonable setup?  This news server does not handle any feeds (Except for the incoming
> feed from our provider).  Only client access. (For now).

How many simultaneous clients do you expect to be able to handle?

How long do you keep news?

Etc.

... JG