Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 01:32:13 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd.port.mk", line 695: Inconsistent operator for pre-everything

On 8 Dec 2001 at 16:01, Will Andrews wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 11:57:26AM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> > # pkg_version -L =
> > "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 695: Inconsistent operator for pre-
> > everything make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
> >
> > Seems like there's a problem here...
>
> Hmm, that looks interesting.  The pre-everything target it's
> complaining about is this:
>
> .if !target(pre-everything)
> pre-everything:
>  @${DO_NADA}
> .endif
>
> as opposed to all the others being "pre-everything::".  You and I
> have looked at this before.  I am still uncertain how you manage
> to run into these problems with FreshPorts but nobody else does.  :)

I am merely special.  Actually, this problem *is* on the FreshPorts
webserver, but it's a problem I encountered while wearing my sysadmin
hat, not my FP hat.

> This is around line 2162 on bsd.port.mk rev 1.394.

I have that revision.

> So this
> problem you're seeing is extremely strange.  Would it be possible
> for you to do a full cvsup from scratch to make sure that the
> environment is at fault?

I've done two.  One prior to reading your message and one just now.  The
problem persists.

> Then if it is, I want to know how it's
> triggering this, because this should never happen.
> pre-everything should only have two colons if it is defined,
> otherwise only one colon.  For info on the difference, see
> make(1) manual page.

Looking at line 695, the conditions in the if above must be met before
the pre-everything is invoked.  It's trying to tell me that some port has
an old format.  I'd like to know which one.... *grin*  I'm guessing it
must be one of my installed ports given that the problem is being raised
by pkg_version.  The condition in question is:

.if (!defined(PATCHDIR) && exists(${MASTERDIR}/patches)) || \
        (!defined(PKGDIR) && exists(${MASTERDIR}/pkg)) || \
        (!defined(MD5_FILE) && exists(${MASTERDIR}/files/md5))

Does the above provide any suggestions as to where to search next?
--
Dan Langille
The FreeBSD Diary - http://freebsddiary.org/ - practical examples