Date:      18 May 2002 01:57:42 -0000
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/38212: XFree86-4 and portupgrade get dependencies wrong

>Number:         38212
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       XFree86-4 and portupgrade get dependencies wrong
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us 4.6-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 4.6-PRERELEASE #31: Tue May 14 17:49:58 PDT 2002 joe@zircon.zircon.seattle.wa.us:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZIRCON i386

	Wehn installing XFree86 with portinstall -R, dependencies are wrong.
>How-To-Repeat:
	With no X installed, perform portinstall -R XFree86 and select
	version 4.
>Fix:

	I don't know the fix.  portinstall seems to have the
	dependencies reversed.  XFree86-4-libraries seems to get
	installed, but the ldconfig gets all messed up and nothing else
	works.  Stop and install libraries manually (make install in
	ports dir), then try portinstall again.  This time it tries to
	start installing the fonts before the clients are installed and
	stops with an error.  Stop again and install the clients by
	hand.  Now, fonts install correctly.

	The whole dependency thing is a mystery to me as to how
	portinstall figures it out.  For whatever reason, it seems to
	want to install fonts *first*, then server, then clients, then
	libraries.  This is exactly backwards!