Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:19:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, lcremean@tidalwave.net, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: US Immigration (was: Funny, but true...)

There is an international school for immigration officials. Read on.

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tue, 16 June 1998 at 22:12:13 +0000, Frank Pawlak wrote:
> > On Jun 15, 12:57pm, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> Subject: US Immigration (was: Funny, but true...)

<snippage...>

> The US is particularly unusual in its treatment of foreigners.  I
> haven't seen questions or waivers like this in any other country.  The
> INS people also seem to have been trained to be nasty, a trait shared
> only by the English immigration people.  In Europe, you usually don't
> need a visa, and any inspection is pretty cursory.  In Asia, you will
> need a landing card which concentrates normally on things they could
> more easily get out of your passport.  In some countries you'll need a
> visa (Australia is one of them), but most don't worry any more.  China
> and India still need visas, and some people (including Australians,
> but excluding US citizens) need a visa for Japan.

Umm... At the risk of dating myself, once when traveling to Japan
an aquaintance of mine was on the plane as well. Then, you did need a
visa, and Julius' had expired the day before, unbeknownst to him.

The Japanese officer was plesant but implacable, Julius would have to
go, to anywhere.

After much discussion, Julius tried his best shot. He drew himself up
to full splendiferousness, and announced that he _would_ leave and so
would the $20 million he was about to spend on machine tools.

To which the immigration officer smiled and replied, "That'll be fine."

It was funny, but they did let him stay 24 hours. :-)

> > All of this makes me wonder if US intelligence isn't on to some new
> > potential threats.

No, not threats, just something... Heh, Heh...

John