Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 13:53:29 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Mark Yeck <y3k@gti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: safely briding from internet to "localnet"

mark mentioned

[in the context of getting a virtual linux machine to talk to the
outside world under vmware]

> ah. well, unfortunately that machine is at work and i'm at home, so i
> cant look directly at it, but if i remember correctly, i added the
> following junk to /etc/rc.conf:

> gateway_enable="YES"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="OPEN"

> try that out. i think briefly i had no networking at all, but i think
> that stuff fixed it.

hmm, this time (along with IPDIVERT) I kept my host machine's
networking.  Also, I can contact the host with it's actual ip rather than
just the 192.168 number

In the linux box, I get a route of

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

I also got one pass where I could ping the host machine by name
(defined in the guest /etc/hosts), and it successfully usecd the actual
IP number of the host machine (rather than the 192.168 number).

But I still can't get to anything on the actual localnet.

Do I need to do a "route add" or some such on the linux side?

also, I note

fac13ttyp3:/root#ps x | grep nat
  160  ??  Is     0:00.00 /sbin/natd -n fxp0
fac13ttyp3:/root#

That's the *real* ehternet port.  Shouldn't it be running on  vnet1,
not the real port?

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail