Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 02:30:39 -0800
From:      "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emerging Technologies

I've got two of these cards working and they work like a charm. I think,
personally, that they are very sexy...from a design standpoint.

>Has anyone used ET Inc cards in FreeBSD? How difficult is it to get the
>routing working?

These cards have NOTHING to do with routing, they just provide the link
between your router/computer and your ISP. In order to route you need to
know a little about standard routing and / or gated and define your routes
like that. One of these days, sooner or later, you will need to know
routing. If you get the Cisco you will be able to get by for a while longer
because they give you all the commands for each situation...but eventually,
when you have a problem, and you don't have much time, you will need to
cram on routing concepts and pray that you get it right before those
customers/bosses start coming down all over you...been there done that.

>Is it just standard FreeBSD stuff, or do you need to run
>gated or routed? Is OSPF and BGP peering supported?

I'm running routed on one router (adapter in machine) and gated (with the
full BGP peer) and OSPF internally on the other one...they work better then
anything out there. Mind you, I have 128MB RAM on my router with the full
peer.

>We are thinking of using these cards instead of a $10k Cisco 3620.(I think
>that is the number). Is this a bad idea?

I'm using these to not use a Cisco 4700 which, if I configured it similarly
would cost around $30,000.00...

The only question is: When will they come out with T3? I heard that it
might be soon. The T1 dual adapters can support up to 7MBits on a single
V.35 so you could plug that to a T3 CSU/DSU running at up to
7Mbits...perhaps there's a multi-V.35 T3 CSU/DSU available...I haven't
needed to look yet.

Hope this helps.

Randy Katz