Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2011 22:41:56 +0100
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: System locking up.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Daniel Staal
Sent: 18 September 2011 22:59
To: 'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'

--As of September 18, 2011 2:29:20 PM +0100, Graeme Dargie is alleged to=20
have said:

> I have a system that is being problematic, I suspect but I cannot say for
> sure it is maybe related to ZFS as I have a fairly large ZFS pool on the
> machine. The system will just lock up, local console does not respond to
> the keyboard, num lock still changes the led on the keyboard, the system
> still responds to pings but you cannot ssh to the unit. The behaviour is
> random the system can be running for 50 days plus with no issues then
> suddenly it enters this state, the error logs do not show anything.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Where is your swap located?  I've seen similar on a ZFS system with swap on=
=20
ZFS, when running low on RAM.  If that's the case, you can either put in=20
more RAM (so you don't need to use swap) or move swap to a dedicated=20
disk/partition, that's not under ZFS control.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.