Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 19:40:16 -0800
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   5.0-RC1 Now Available

  Thanks to everyone who has helped focus on getting 5.0-CURRENT (now
5.0-RC) into shape the upcoming release.  We're one milestone closer
today with the immediate availability of the first release candidate
for the i386, alpha, sparc64, and ia64 platforms.  ISO images and FTP
installation directories are available now from the FTP sites.  Not
all of the mirrors have all of the files yet, but they are at least
available from :

	  ftp2.freebsd.org
	  ftp.tw.freebsd.org
	  ftp7.de.FreeBSD.org

  Please try your local mirror first.  The i386 ISO image includes a
full package set.  Unfortunately, kde can not be installed from
sysinstall, but kdebase is on the ISO and can be installed from the
command line.  ISOs for the other architectures do not contain
packages.  The pc98 architecture release will be available shortly.
Please continue to check our 5.0-RELEASE todo list :

  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/todo.html

and keep us apprised of any outstanding issues.

    Thanks!

	   - Murray / Release Engineering Team