Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:36:35 -0400
From:      "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with user-pppoe after upgrade, fixed

Brian Somers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Let me make sure I've got things straight.  You've upgraded to
> -stable and removed any ``set mtu'' or ``set mru'' lines that you've
> got in your ppp.conf.

Yep. And everything is *fine* now. ppp is connecting properly and
running fine. The bad logs I sent the url about were generated after
adding the bad lines "set m[rt]u 1500".

> If this is the case, then I'm not sure what's happening.  The only
> way I can reproduce what you're seeing in your log is if I add ``set
> mtu 1500'' to the configuration - which is incorrect (you can't force
> the link to have a 1500 byte mtu as it's physically invalid).

Then nothing is happening. Switching to 1492 solved the problem.

The problem was: before the upgrade, I already had m[rt]u set to 1500
and ppp was working fine. Upgrading made ppp stop working. Switching to
set m[tr]u 1492 or removing the lines solves the problem.

What might have confused you, however, was Neal, that has a similar
problem and that crossposted to -stable and -questions. His problem is
that ppp failed to connect after upgrade even *without* any set m[tr]u
lines in his config file...

Does ppp "know" the limit of the physical layer? If so, shouldn't it
"force" the m[tr]u to 1492?

Thanks,

A.

--