Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:57:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "no ld.so" when ftp'ing

I've been getting some unexpected errors (the best kind) when
ftp'ing to my FreeBSD 2.1.5R machine running vanilla ftpd.

1) When I'm logged in as a real user (e.g. ben) locally or remotely, I
can do ls or dir with no problems.

2) When I'm logged in as anonymous or ftp *from a remote site*, I can do
ls but dir gets me "no ld.so".

3) When I'm logged in as anonymous or ftp from localhost, both ls and dir
get "no ld.so".

4) nlist, which I stumbled across while looking at the help feature,
works all the time.

The only other data point I can think of that might be relevant is that I
replaced /bin/ls with a statically-compiled version of the colorls port,
renaming the old ls to ls.old.

I've tried symlinking and alternately copying /usr/libexec/ld.so to
/var/ftp, with no effect.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."