Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:34:36 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ???

> > >I< don't know of any interface changes yet between 2.1 and 2.2 There
> > is no change in sysctl(3) there is no change to malloc.  I would
> > argue that you missed your shot, unless you can show me a piece of
> > code that needs an ifdef for "post-2.1"
>
> That's really not the issue. I'm not expecting such clear incompatibilties
> that an #ifdef 2.1 would be required (although the vm header changes would
> in fact require that so there you are, I have an example).
You can apply the same fix in 2.1, it's the 2.1 src that is bogus.

> It should be clear to everyone that it's a dumb idea to go and tell
> people to work on user-land code under a different version of the OS.

If people don't have the resources to do kernel work, then it would be
stupid to tell them to go away, rather than to point them at user-land.

> > Now this is true, but it doesn't mean that people should hack around
> > in their kernels, does it ?
>
> No, I wasn't disagreeing that there's lots of user-land things to do.
> I was arguing against telling them to work in a 2.1 environment. I
> think it might be instructive if you grabbed something from 2.1 and
> tried to compile it under -current.

Well, I hope we have a snap of -current in Jan for exactly this reason.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.