Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 12:41:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: playing direct midi in

> Any of you sound gurus knowing what I can do
> when I want to plug in my midi keyboard and use the computer
> as a 'sound canvas'? (card is a GUS MAX).

I've done a little bit of work on this, using the OSS drivers.  You can
either use the OSS MIDI sequencer (not too well documented, especially for
incoming MIDI) or just write your own code to monitor /dev/midi.  Of
course, if you're trying to make something like a sequencer you'll need to
figure out exactly when MIDI events were received on the device, which may
be tricky.  On the other hand I was able to write a very basic synthesizer
in Perl by simply reading /dev/midi and looking for note-on events.

I got additional documentation from OSS support that's not available on
their web site.  It's somewhat preliminary (they promise to have a revised
doc on their web site "real soon now") but it's enough to get you going
with the OSS MIDI sequencer.  Ask them for it, or I can email you a copy.

- Mike