Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 2000 19:56:23 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Caleb Walker <caleb.walker@home.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND 8.2.3-T5B

Kevin Oberman wrote:

> This should work:
> $TTL 1D
> cwalk.org. IN SOA cx521708.pv1.ca.home.com.  calebwalker69.hotmail.com. (
> 2000083002  ; Serial (date yyyymmdd)
> 2H     ; refresh
> 1H          ; retry
> 2W     ; expire
> 300     ; TTL
>
> NS1 IN NS www.cwalk.org.
> NS2 IN NS www.cwalk.org.

Well, that looks legal, but is that really what the original poster
wants to do?

Caleb, what you are doing here is defining the sub-domains "NS1" and
"NS2" and specifying www as the name server.  What I'm guessing you want
to do is make www the name server for the domain, in which case you just
need

cwalk.org.	IN	SOA	<stuff like above>
		IN	NS	www

The same goes for the MX; do you really want the mail for subdomain
mail.cwalk.org to be handled by cwalk.org?  With that zone file, mail
for cwalk.org can't get anywhere since cwalk.org itself doesn't have an
address.

@		IN	SOA	<stuff like above>
		IN	NS	www
		IN	MX	50 www
www		IN	A	24.177.2.144
ftp		IN	CNAME	www

but perhaps I'm making invalid assumptions.  No reference of cwalk.org,
which is only really important if you ever want to change your domain
name, or perhaps use the same zone file for multiple domains, or
something.  I think it looks a bit cleaner though.  The "@" sign gets
interpreted as the domain name specified in the named.conf file for this
zone file.

disclaimer:  I am not a DNS expert...

--
Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D