Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2003 14:57:50 -0700
From:      "Alex" <bandini@flash.net>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCI modem troubles

I'm having a little trouble getting FreeBSD 4.8 to recognize my PCI modem. I
have a US Robotics 56k Performance Pro Modem (not a Winmodem) that FreeBSD
stubbornly refuses to talk to.

At the urging of kind people on this list, I enabled "pccard" in my rc.conf
file and I set up my kernel config file with the line "device sio" after
commenting out sio1 and 2, i.e.:

# device		sio2	at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
# device		sio3	at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9
device sio

The system is still not recognizing the modem on PC1, as the message in
"dmesg" reads

pci1: <unknown card> (vendor=0x12b9, dev=0x1008) at 8.0

Things got even more interesting when I looked at the output of
"pciconf -lv", as the follwoign lines came up:

none1@pci1:8:0:	class=0x070002 card=0x00d312b9 chip=0x100812b9 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
    vendor   = '3COM Corp, Modem Division (Formerly US Robotics)'
    device   = '3cp803598 USR 56k Internal Modem'
    class    = simple comms
    subclass = UART

It looks like the system is actually finding the modem and is recognizing
it, but for reasons beyond my understanding it stops short of actually
talking to the thing. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Alex