Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 21:26:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        David Smithson <david@customfilmeffects.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wanted: suggested sysctl variables for heavily used high-capacity file-server

Don't bother changing the icmp bandlim sysctl settings or disabling it, it
won't help.  What you're seeing is the result of packets being rejected
after smbd crashed.  Icmp bandwidth limiting had nothing to do with samba
crashing, so don't bother fiddling with it.

What you should do is use gdb to generate a backtrace from smbd's core
file and see if any samba experts can help you figure out what's going
wrong.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack

----

Hi.  I'm seeking suggestions for sysctl variables to use on a highly-taxed
mission-critical file-server.  This computer exports two 630GB arrays via
SAMBA over gigabit on 3ware escalades.  Anyone have any tips?

The reason I'm asking is because smbd has been dropping processes lately.
recently added more render engines to our stack, so the file-server seems
be choking somewhere.

dmesg shows:

-snip-
Nov 21 04:33:15 fnord /kernel: pid 1866 (smbd), uid 1005: exited on signal
6
Nov 21 04:20:01 fnord /kernel: Limiting icmp unreach response from 208 to
200 packets per second
-snip-

----