Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 1996 15:20:53 +0100
From:      Helmut Wirth <wirth@zerberus.hai.siemens.co.at>
To:        Michael Beckmann <petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, wirth@zerberus.hai.siemens.co.at
Subject:   Re: Disk or controller or driver failure ?

Hello,
I had a similar problem recently: One of my SCSI disk was reported as not ready.
It got ready seconds later, only to go Not Ready again in a few moments.
The reason was a bad contact on the voltage supply connector !
I pulled it and adjusted the copper rings inside to have 'a better grip' to the pins
of the drive's connector and replugged it. The problem went away completly, but one
sector was unreadable after this. Writing to this sector corrected this problem too,
obviously a power failure occured in the middle of  writing this sector.

The power supply connectors are not very good, especially if one changes from one to
another device, because apparently the pins in the device's connector have slighty
different diameters. Oxydation of the connector parts could also be a problem.
First time I encountered this with my SCSI-Tape.

So I think it would pay to check this first.
Best
Helmut