Date:      Tue, 05 Apr 2011 15:54:46 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        avg@FreeBSD.org, petefrench@ingresso.co.uk
Cc:        spawk@acm.poly.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd@jdc.parodius.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel memory leak in 8.2-PRERELEASE?

> Having swap provides some cushion.  Swap kind of smooths any bursts. (And it can
> also slow things down as a side effect)

This is why I got rid of it - my application is a lot of CGI scripts. The
overload condition is that we run out of memory - and we run *way* out
of memory .... its never just a little overflow, it;s either handleable or
completely crushed. But swap makes that mre llikely to happen, because
as the processes are swapped out they run slower, take longer to
finish and thus use memory for longer.

What I saw was that as soon as any web server would start tos wap it would
swftly fall down. Without swap they stay up, but reject requests. Its a better
failure mode...

these days I run a compormise - swap on internal machines, and no swap
on customer facing ones, but lots of RAM (16 gig).

-pete.