Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 17:13:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        bsd <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server setup mystery...HELP?

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, bsd wrote:
> Now my server works just dandy except....
> I can't telnet to port 25 (I checked this because my LAN clients can't
> popor send mail (windows...pegasus)

POP is not turned on by default.  Edit /etc/inetd.conf and
uncomment the line for pop3

As for sendmail, is it running?  If it is then you probably
are missing a route to your internal lan.  Not sure how you
would convince FBSD not to route to the nic without actually
deleting the route so sendmail probably stopped running.

You probably gave it a kill instead of a kill -1 when
changing your sendmail.cf.  Try running

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m

manually and if it comes up you're done.

If it doesn't start up try running it in test mode to see
if you get any clues.

# sendmail -bt

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com