Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:53:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   A contest about to start...

At http://www.freebsd.org/~xcontest you will find the "alpha version"
of a page for a contest which I'll soon be launching, the goal of which
being to get some better canned desktop profiles to ship with future
versions of FreeBSD.

What the contest principally lacks at the moment, unfortunately, are
judges.  What I would like for this contest is at least 4 people who
feel themselves reasonably qualified to judge what's asthetically and
functionally pleasing in an X desktop configuration, including the set
of applications directly accessible from button bars, application docks,
whatever the mechanism might be in the window/desktop manager of choice.

People looking at the prototype contest page who don't necessarily
wish to be judges but would like to suggest a popular application or
window manager which was shipped with 2.2.6 but left off my list,
please let me know.  In order to keep things reasonably applicable to
others who may wish to try these "desktop theme" packages, I'm afraid I
do have to constrain the package set to that which shipped with 2.2.6,
but even so I think we'll have a lot of flexibility and, in the end,
will still end up having to pick only a small percentage of the
applications available in order to keep the judging process manageable.

In order to judge this contest, you basically need to be well familiar with
the X desktop, ideally a "power user" yourself who's able to tell honest
functionality from pure fluff, and you need to have some way of testing
the submissions that come in.  That will probably require a test box of
some sort since installing arbitrary packages on your production box
is never really a good idea. :-)

Anyone?

Thanks!

- Jordan