Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:30:00 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wireless base stations

Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org> probably said:
> SMC EZ Connect 11 Mbps Wireless Access Point 11Mbps 802.11b
>  Wireless access point						$220

This is probably the one I picked up - single antennae.

128bit WEP, decent range (seems similar range to a lucent range
extender). Needs it's firmware and web images upgrading to interoprate
with WEP. Bridge only - no filtering by MAC, no NAT, no DHCP, etc.
Configurable only by HTTP.

Seems to work pretty well. Cheap. External antennae connection and
supplied with a reasonable antennae.

The one I have is;
  http://www.smc.com/smc/common/prodPreview.cfm?prod_code=SMC2652W
and can be found for $200 right now.

> Linksys Instant Wireless Network Access Point 11Mbps 802.11b
>  Wireless Network Access Point					$220
> D-Link DI-714 Wireless Gateway Wireless Gateway with a
>  Built-In Four Port Switch with 128-bit WEP Encryption		$220
> D-Link DI-713P Wireless Gateway Wireless Gateway with a
>  Built-In Three Port Switched Print Server with 128-bit
>  WEP Encryption							$235
> D-Link DWL-1000AP Wireless Access Point 11Mbps 802.11B
>  Wireless LAN Access Point with 40-bit encryption		$180

Another one to consider is the Buffalo Tech models. The "router" model
is basicly an airport (same guts, IIRC) minus the phone jack and is
only $189.00. Unsure about 128bit WEP.

  http://www.techworks.com/products/airstation-catv-dsl.html

P.

--