Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 19:14:52 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Bob Hall <rjhjr@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP assigned unregistered IP address

Bob Hall wrote:

>>However, note the "When the Cable Modem is disconnected from the
>>Internet..." so the only reason it should be handing you the local IP is
>>if it cannot talk back to the DHCP server it gets your real IP from.  If
>>

>Yea, that's pretty obvious. It's also pretty undesirable. Apparently,
>Motorola decided the checkbox was confusing and removed it, replacing it
>with this automatic behavior. Blea.

Learning from Microsoft ;-)

>>If it happens again, you might want to talk to your provider to find out
>>*why*.  Does this thing have any flashing lights on the front?
>>

>There are LEDs, but they didn't indicate anything was wrong. There have
>been many reboots over the time I've been with this ISP, and this is the
>only time this happened. I'm not going to demand an explanation for a
>fluke.

I just meant that it might indicate a fault somewhere in either your
modem or (more likely) some of the hardware between it and the ISP.
Somewhere I have a list of acceptable values for some of the (to me)
impenetrable signal levels etc. which my 4100 can show me.  At least if
I see one of those is bad, then I know it's not my fault.  If things
don't return to normal in a while, then maybe it's worth contacting tech
support or checking their status page (which I can only do because I
still have a separate dial-up account for just such emergencies).

Also if the 4100 can't reach the DHCP server, the green lights won't
ever all come on, so it's pretty obvious when there is a fault.  Of
course, that might be because the local DHCP server has been turned off ;-)

>A better question is why the tech I talked to told me that the
>unregistered IP address wasn't a problem. But she did tell me that she
>was new, and generally the techs can distinguish between their cloacal
>anatomy and a geophysical excavation.

My experience of virtually every large organisation is that there are
two types of techs.  The ones for whom their cloacal anatomy is
indistinguishable from their articulatio cubiti, and the ones who
actually know how to listen, diagnose a problem etc.  With the rise in
call centres, the former are becoming more prevalent, and it gets harder
to get your problems referred to the latter.  When the person you talk
to has a script which doesn't go beyond "turn if off; leave it for 30
seconds and turn it back on again", you are in trouble.

--Alex