Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 18:20:56 +0200
From:      "David M. Redmond" <dmr@fc.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problems with su command

I have a question to which I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere...

I have inherited a FreeBSD 2.1.0 (GENERIC) #0 UNIX box.  It has been
running fine for a long time (since 1995).  The problem is that I can login
as root on the server console, but nowhere else.  I cannot login as root
through telnet nor can I login as another user and su to root.  It simply
says Sorry.

This would not be a problem except that since I have to do all root
operations from the console, 1) I must be at the server and 2) I have to
keep putting up with console messages that are displayed.

If someone could tell me what permissions and/or configuration files need
to be examined, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks (in advance).
Mr. D. M. Redmond