Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:05:03 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I Blitz /usr?

At 07:47 AM 8/24/00 -0700, you wrote:

>> My idea is that I should just delete *everything* in /usr, then run
>> /stand/sysinstall and install only the distributions and packages I
>> need from the NFS filesystem. Recent experience installing from the
>> CD-ROM on a new disk drive indicates that at the end /usr will be about
>> 29% full including the source tree.
>
>	Why don't you do pkg_info first, then pkg_delete to get rid of
>what you're sure dosen't need to be there... might be quicker and more
>efficent for you. That'll free up some space by getting rid of some of
the
>programs you don't need. :)
>
>						Rick

Sounds like a good idea, but when I tried it I discovered pkg_info
isn't on the machine. I went to /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install and tried
to make it but it didn't work.

I also discovered there's no /var/db/pkg/ directory on the machine, so
pkg_info wouldn't help in this case. Curious. I wonder how he did that?
And why?
--
Roger

If at first you don't succeed,