Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:24:38 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Erling Staff <jes@kampsax.dtu.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sb 128 pci has a strange behaviour.

Hi

I've just got myself an sb 128 pci sound card. However, it is a little
strange. If I just boot FreeBSD, the sound is very noisy, and it is as if
the sound is played slowly. However, if I first boot a linux disk, inserts
the correct module there, turn off the computer and boot FreeBSD, it works
fine (in FreeBSD).
But I usually turn my computer off at night, and when I turn it back on
the next day, there are the same sound problems, and I have to do the
trick with Linux once again.
I have compiled the kernel with the line
device pcm
and the output from /dev/sndstat is the same no mather if the card is ok
or not:
[jes@bsd ~]$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Feb  1 2001 14:45:41
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xec00 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)

Has anyone got an idea to what is wrong, and how to solve the problem? The
linux disk was supposed to be used in another computer, so I don't find
this a good solution in the long run...

TIA
/Jan